The King George Education Foundation
We believe that providing a quality education for all children is the responsibility of the entire community. We operate at the intersection of three spheres of influence in King George county to accomplish our mission: the students, the schools and the community. In the process, we strive to unite the community to enhance public education for all students in the King George School Division.
The King George County Education Foundation (KGEF), a non-profit organization, was established in January 2014 to build partnerships within our community, attract private funding and support innovative programs and projects for students and employees of King George County Public Schools. Our founding documents can be accessed here.
Special COVID Assistance: In addition to our ongoing programs listed below, we are currently working with our KGCS Educators, Social Workers, Counselors and Family Services during the COVID-19 outbreak within our rural County to provide those children lacking virtual internet access/laptops at home with school supply kits to complement school learning resource packets, following the ‘social distancing’ guideline directives in Virginia. This project began in mid-March 2020 through our FoxSmart program, when VA schools closed for the remaining of the school year due to COVID-19 via executive order, and will continue throughout the summer as a bridge project for our school children and into the 2020-2021 school year.
The Foundation currently has 5 active programs:
- Innovation Grants: The KGEF awards grants each fall to school division employees for proposals that present innovative ideas for achieving the division’s curricular goals, enhance students’ personal development, and/or encourage links with the KG community
- STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Math) – We work collaboratively with the STEM teachers at all levels in KGCS, to identify their needs, develop innovative solutions and seek new opportunities to enrich the STEM educational experience for all KG students.
- FoxSmart Center: Introduced in 2018 to assist not only our teachers, nurses, staff, counselors, social workers ~ helping to minimize their ‘out-of-pocket’ financial impact. but also reaching out to students/families in need ~ working in partnership with KGCS Family Services to obtain primarily school supplies and some hygiene items. Our newly implemented electronic Teacher/KG Family Services Supply Request Form allows for easier selection and shopping for teachers/staff in addition to assisting the FoxSmart Team’s effort in expediting their processing/delivery.
- Partners in Education (PIE): A partnership with us is defined as a ‘voluntary relationship that is formed between a business organization and one or more schools or the school division.’ These relationships create support systems designed to meet the needs of the schools through the community partners to the benefit of both.
- Evening of Excellence (EOE): Each Spring the KGEF hosts an annual Evening of Excellence awards ceremony honoring Outstanding Support Staff, PTA Educators of the year, Donors, new Partners in Education, and school and KGCS Division Teachers of the Year, as well as recognize the prior school year’s Innovation Grant recipients.
Board of Directors
President: Tammy Indseth
Vice President: Mark Bradshaw
Secretary: Katie Poole
Treasurer: Chris Buck
Director of Communication: (vacant)
Director: Becky Kraisser
Director: Pat McDaniel